What are ESSER Funds?
The Elementary and Secondary School Emergency Relief Fund (ESSER Fund) was established by the Coronavirus Aid, Relief, and Economic Security (CARES) Act to provide emergency assistance to K-12 schools that have been impacted by the coronavirus pandemic.
The first round of ESSER Funds, which totaled $13.2 billion, was allocated to states based on their share of funding under the Elementary and Secondary Education Act (ESEA). The second round of ESSER Funds, totaling $54 billion, was also allocated to states based on their share of ESEA funding.
The deadline for final spending of all ESSER I Funds is September 30, 2022. The deadline for final spending of all ESSER II Funds is September 30, 2023.
Can ESSER Funds Be Used to Buy Vape Detectors?
Yes, schools and districts can use ESSER Funds in any ways to:
- Provide principals and other school leaders with resources to address individual school needs. If vaping is a problem in your school, vape detectors will help detect and deter vaping.
- Implement systems to improve LEA (Local Educational Agency) preparedness and response efforts. Vape detectors will allow your staff to respond to incidents of vaping and other unhealthy behaviors.
- Help with any budgetary shortfalls. If there isn’t room in your budget for vape detectors, consider using ESSER Funds to fill the gap.
- Projects to improve the indoor air quality in school facilities. Vape detectors actively monitor the quality of air in schools.
- Help implement public health protocols. Vaping is a public health crisis, use vape detectors to help deter and detect no-vaping policies.
Why Should A School Purchase Vape Detectors?
- Vaping is an epidemic, it isn’t going anywhere any time soon.
- Fentanyl and THC are being found in vaping products.
- Vaping can be done discreetly, making it hard for teachers and staff to catch students in the act.
- Vape detectors will: help identify when and where vaping is occurring, alert school staff of potential vaping incidents, deter future vaping in schools, and provide information for disciplinary action.
- Promote the safety and well being of students and staff.